NILS loans are provided to enable people living on low incomes the opportunity to purchase significant or NEW essential household items, or a service, that improves their quality of life or enhances social and economic participation. Depending on capacity to pay, eligible people can borrow up to a maximum of $1500.00.
What will NILS provide loans for?
- These loans may be used to purchase essential household items, for example: white goods such as fridges, washing machines, dryers, air-conditioners, heating.
- electrical goods and furniture.
- technology items such as mobile phones, tablets and computers.
- medical equipment or for other worthwhile purposes such as education costs and training or driving lessons.
- Other purposes- if you are not sure about whether your item or service is eligible, call us to check.
Please download the NILS pamphlet here.
Please download the steps for getting a NILS loan here.
A useful site with budget planners and other information is the MoneySmart site.
The funds to provide for these loans comes from the community, and so prompt and complete repayment enables the providers to re-lend the money to other members of the community in need. If you are experiencing difficulty repaying your loan, contact your NILS lender as soon as possible.
Repayments are tailored to suit individual circumstances The term of the loan is usually 12 months
How much can I borrow?
The maximum loan is dependant upon your ability to repay, however the usual maximum is around $1,500.
Are you eligible to apply for a No Interest Loan?
- Can you answer yes to the following questions?
- Are you on a low income, i.e. holder of a Health Care Card?
- Have you lived at your current or previous address for the last three months?
- Do you have the ability to repay the loan over a 12 month period?
- Are you unable to qualify for other affordable loans?
- Will this loan improve the health and well-being of you or your family?
How do I apply for a loan?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to all of the questions above, then you will need to:
1. Gather the following documents (your loan application may be delayed if you do not bring all of these documents to the interview):
- Your current Detailed Income Statement from Centrelink and/or Pay Docket from your employer.
- A document showing length of stay at current accommodation, e.g. Lease or rent ledger from public housing provider.
- Driver’s License or other identification.
- Details of your usual household expenditure, eg; your most recent telephone, gas and/or electricity bill.
- Any other outstanding accounts/loans.
- Copy of your bank transactions of the last 3 months (these cannot be any older than 2 weeks).
2. Obtain written quotes for the item/service you wish to purchase. We do not approve loans for second-hand goods, goods purchased on websites such as Ebay or Gumtree, or items which have already had a deposit paid.
3. Call Jade on 4787 7770 to make an appointment for a loan interview.
4. Attend a loan interview, ensuring you bring all those documents. Decisions about loan applications are made by a loan provider. Clients are advised of the decision as soon as possible, generally within 48 hours of complete documentation being submitted.